Rootsweb Mailing Lists are Back Up!
This is just to let you know the RootsWeb mailing lists are functioning again. You may now post any questions you may have been sitting on while they were not. The Archives are being re-populated, but due to their size, it is going to take some time to complete. This post should initiate that process. For detailed information on working with the new list software, see <http://home.rootsweb.ancestry.com/listindexes/listsHelp>
Microfilm Digitization at GPPL now Available!
The digital copies of the microfilm are now available on the Roots computer at Main! There’s a shortcut called ‘Grand Prairie News Archives’ and from there Barron created a folder for each year. Each microfilm roll has been converted to one file and depending on the year there may be one file per year or several. Here are the papers that are covered:
- Grand Prairie Hustler’ Aug 25, 1904-Aug 3, 1906 plus select Texas papers from Granbury, Young County, and the Pecos Valley from the late 19th/ early 20th century.
- Grand Prairie Texan’: Nov. 1908-1911, March 1919-Dec. 1932, 1934-37, Jan. 1953-Oct. 26, 1958. Please note that we do not have files or microfilm for 1938-1952.
- Grand Prairie Daily News Texan’: Oct.29, 1958 – June 30, 1966.
- Grand Prairie Daily News’: July 1, 1966 through June 1989
- Grand Prairie News’: Sept 1989 through Feb. 10, 2000
- Grand Prairie sections from Arlington for Feb 7, 2000-Dec 2001 and the ‘Dallas Morning News’ for 2003-2004.
Please note that the files are not keyword-searchable. Also we do still have the microfilm rolls back in Archives. Each file is a PDF so patrons may zoom in and out and copy and paste articles.
Grand Prairie Library
FREE DIGITAL BOOKS
The Grand Prairie Public Library System now offers a collection of digital books free for library card holders.
The eBranch collection allows patrons to access free titles on their smartphone, tablet, ereader or computer, including mininovels not available in print. Up to three books can be checked out for a two-week period on 3M Cloud and Overdrive Read, app-driven tools added to eBranch. https://gptx.overdrive.com/collection/157275
After the two-week period, the book erases from the device. Holds are available for up to five books if they are unavailable at the time of checkout. The eBranch collection is available at Grand Prairie's Main Library, Betty Warmack Branch Library and Tony Shotwell Branch Library.